Can I Renew My Passport by Mail?
YES, If you…
- Already have a passport that is not damaged; and
- Received it within the past 15 years; and
- Were over age 16 when it was issued; and
- Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change).
- Residents abroad should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
- Passports renewed by mail in the U.S. can only be forwarded to U.S. addresses.
- If you mutilate or alter your U.S. passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible prosecution under the law (Section 1543 of Title 22 of the U.S. Code).
- If your passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person. (See the Travel Document titled How to Apply in Person.)
How Do I Renew My Passport By Mail?
1. Complete Application For Passport By Mail, Form DS-82. Be sure to sign and date your application.
2. Attach to it:
- Your most recent passport
- Two identical passport photographs
- Include the payment.
- If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service.
- Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.
- If you travel extensively, you may request a larger, 48-page passport at no additional cost. To do so, please attach a signed Form DS-4085 for a 48-page passport to your application.
3. If your name has changed since your passport was issued:
- Enclose a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or court order).
- No photocopies accepted.
NOTE: If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person. (See the Travel Document titled How to Apply in Person.)
4. Mail in a padded envelope to:National Passport Center P.O. Box 371971 Pittsburgh, PA 15250-9971
5. If you use an overnight delivery service that does not deliver to a post office box, then send it to:Passport Services – Lockbox Attn: Passport Supervisor 371971 500 Ross Street, Rm. 154-0670 Pittsburgh, PA 15250-9971
NOTE: Include a prepaid overnight return envelope. Please note that overnight service will not speed up processing time unless the $60 fee for expedited service is also included. (Click here for information on Expedited Service.)