How to Apply for a Passport Renewal

Can I Renew My Passport by Mail?

YES, If you…

  • Already have a passport that is not damaged; and
  • Received it within the past 15 years; and
  • Were over age 16 when it was issued; and
  • Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change).


  • Residents abroad should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
  • Passports renewed by mail in the U.S. can only be forwarded to U.S. addresses.
  • If you mutilate or alter your U.S. passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible prosecution under the law (Section 1543 of Title 22 of the U.S. Code).
  • If your passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person. (See the Travel Document titled How to Apply in Person.)

How Do I Renew My Passport By Mail?

1. Complete Application For Passport By Mail, Form DS-82.  Be sure to sign and date your application.

2. Attach to it:

  • Your most recent passport
  • Two identical passport photographs
  • Include the payment.


  • If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service.
  • Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.
  • If you travel extensively, you may request a larger, 48-page passport at no additional cost. To do so, please attach a signed Form DS-4085 for a 48-page passport to your application.

3. If your name has changed since your passport was issued:

  • Enclose a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or court order).
  • No photocopies accepted.

NOTE: If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person.   (See the Travel Document titled How to Apply in Person.)

4. Mail in a padded envelope to:

      National Passport Center
      P.O. Box 371971
      Pittsburgh, PA 15250-9971

5. If you use an overnight delivery service that does not deliver to a post office box, then send it to:

      Passport Services – Lockbox
      Attn: Passport Supervisor 371971
      500 Ross Street, Rm. 154-0670
      Pittsburgh, PA 15250-9971

NOTE: Include a prepaid overnight return envelope.  Please note that overnight service will not speed up processing time unless the $60 fee for expedited service is also included. (Click here for information on Expedited Service.)